It all began in 1841…

Beautiful-Bellinger-River

The township Bellingen lies on the Bellinger River. In 1841, Government surveyor, Clement Hodgkinson visited the area. When naming newly discovered places, he preferred to use existing native place names rather than foreign ones, so he used the Gumbaynggir name for river, “Billingen” as the name of the area.

The name has also been reported as meaning “clean water”, “winding river”, “quoll” and “cheeky fellow”. Originally, Bellingen was pronounced “Billingen”, where the “ng” was pronounced as in “sing”.

When it came buy accutane 40 mg uk time to write the word, the Aboriginal voice and the European ear combined to give a spelling of “Billingen”, “Billengen”, “Bellengen” or “Bellingen”. European usage has altered the original pronunciation to the current “Bellin-jen”.

To further confuse the issue, a draughtsman who was compiling the Colony map from original documents misread Hodgkinson’s final handwritten “n” as an “r”; meaning that the Bellingen River officially became the “Bellinger”, while the town retained the correct name of “Bellingen”

Comments are closed.